Information and advice about changing your name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
Can I change my children's names?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
Procedure and how to apply

Services available and fees

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
Your rights upon adoption
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
What the media says about us
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights



If you wish to legally change your name, or your children's names, you can use the Deed Poll process, which has been used by hundreds of thousands of people for over 150 years.

By Deed Poll, you can officially change any part or all of your name.  For example, you can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing forenames. You can change your name by Deed Poll as often as you want, at any time and for any reason provided it is not for deceptive or fraudulent purposes.

UK Deed Poll Service, Freebournes Court, Witham, Essex, CM8 2BL.Applying for your Deed Poll could not be easier.  You can apply online, by post, by telephone or call in to our offices at Freebournes Court, Witham, Essex where you can collect or drop off your application forms or use our one-hour premium service.  Please click on this link for further details.

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all United Kingdom government departments including the UK Passport Service and the DVLA.We are the main issuer of Deed Polls in the United Kingdom, consequently our Deed Poll documents are accepted by all UK government departments, companies and organisations to enable you to get all your documents and records reissued or changed to your new name including your UK passport, driving licence, bank account and credit cards, tax and National Insurance records etc.*

Please click on any link in the contents table (left) to find out more about changing your name by Deed Poll. If after reading our articles you have any unanswered questions about changing your name please e-mail us.

Please note, dealing with us direct means you do not need to visit a solicitor.

* A Deed Poll will not get your birth, marriage or decree absolute certificate changed. It is also not possible to get permanent records changed such as past examination certificates. There are some circumstances that enable you to get a birth certificate amended or reissued thereby avoiding the need for a Deed Poll. Please read Can a birth certificate be changed? for further information.

Procedure and how to apply

About Deed Polls Next page  

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright DeedPollsOnline, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.