The official website of UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    The UK's main and most trusted issuer of Deed Poll documentation
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Apply online
Apply by telephone
Apply by post
Apply in person
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals

A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply

Click to watch our video guide about how to apply

There are just 2 simple steps to changing your name by Deed Poll

Step 1

You first need to apply for your Deed Poll documentation, which can be for an adult, child or for a family.  You can apply in the following ways:
Step 2

When you receive your Deed Poll documentation, which we will post to you in accordance with your chosen delivery service, you simply sign and date your Deed Poll document in the presence of an independent witness such as a friend, neighbour or work colleague.

Your signed Deed Poll, bearing our official seal, is documentary proof of your change of name, which you then need to show to all government departments, companies and organisations that hold your personal records, instructing them to change your name. You can also apply for a new British passport, driving licence, cheque book, credit cards etc to be reissued in your new name.

Full and comprehensive instructions will be enclosed with your Deed Poll documentation.

To guide you through the name change process, we will post to you our helpful Deed Poll Pack, supplied in a protective storage folder containing the following documents:

Your Deed Poll Pack contents:
Your personalised Deed Poll document, ready for signing.
Clearly written instructions explaining how to correctly execute your Deed Poll (i.e. how to correctly sign, date and witness).
Suggested list of government departments, companies and organisations who you will need to notify of your name change, with instructions as to what you need to do for each.
Example covering letter to send to government departments, companies and organisations instructing them to change their records to your new name.
Your original letter of consent (if a letter was sent to us to change a child's name).
An order form for our Legal Copy and Archive Service (if you do not order this service when you apply for your Deed Poll).

To start the application process, please click on the link for your preferred method of applying:

Last updated: 16 August 2008

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.